Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2010

SELF – BELIEF – Our greatest Challenge

America, I have heard is the world’s most powerful nation in the world, and I ask what is the yardstick for measuring greatness and power? Is it in wars, nuclear weapons, etc? To me, America today is the worst place to be in, with their dwindling economy, people loosing their jobs and all that, who would like to go to a land where all you do is sit like rotten vegetable? With our own mouth we call it a land of opportunities, really? Is it truly a land of opportunity? What of the country of your birth? I am not being bias here as I cannot fail to recognize that in the past America has lived up to its claim, my point therefore is that every country, every state, has greatness in her, some of us will not agree with this and I think in that lies our greatest challenge – self belief. Take my country Nigeria for example, we supply petroleum products, food, etc to these so called great countries yet we are called a third world nation, I agree with the term ‘developing nation’ but certainly not the third world nation clause, how can one of the life sources of the ‘great countries’ be of less importance to the one life is being supplied to? Noted, Nigeria in the past has been marred by corrupt practices, I guess that’s why self-righteous critics place her as one of the first ten most corrupt countries of the world. Let’s not forget that change is a constant force that governs the world and all those who dwell in this earth living or non-living must do its bidding, Nigeria is changing and rapidly too, the veils are falling off, we’re beginning to see clearly, its just a matter of time, we will soon climb the scale and we too will measure up with the so called world’s greatest. Give me a visa to any country to spend the rest of my life, I will take it just to go there to see things that my country can build on and become great, I can’t imagine myself spending my life in a foreign country, I love Nigeria, I believe strongly in her. I can’t stay out of my country and become too afraid because of some natural disaster.
Look closely at all the crimes perpetuated in this country, where did they all come from; is it not from the high and mighty countries? Listen, in not too long a time Nigeria like a young plant will blossom with soft new petals so beautiful its glory will be blinding but will give sight to those who believed in her, in her budding years. You just wait. Nigeria, right now needs more than just talking about her greatness, it needs our full participation, both in words and in deeds. I’ve heard people say that ‘na government property’ or ‘na my father house?’ Are you a Nigerian? Then it’s not government property but yours, the so called ‘government’ are there as stewards, caretakers of some sort, the real owners are you and I not them, in fact we constitute the so called ‘government,’ so lets treat and take everything in our possession as ours, with this in mind, we can really have a better Nigeria.

Recently I have discovered that Nigeria is the only place you can be the best as a Nigerian. We are developing as such there are opportunities for you and I to be the best. In the so called “God’s own country,” it is almost impossible to be the best, because in almost everything you think about, someone has set a record that it leaves you no room at the top to be the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment